LAST UPDATED: May 10, 2018
References to “ALM,” may be construed as references to ALM Media, LLC (a Delaware limited liability company with offices at 120 Broadway, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10271) and its parents, subsidiaries, or divisions, including but not limited to, ALM Media Properties, LLC, ALM International, Ltd., Legal Week Limited and ALM Media Canada, Inc.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), please also review Section 13 below which contains important additional information.
- Who We Are
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- How We Share Information
- Tracking Technologies and Advertising and Analytics Services
- Your Choices/How to Opt Out
- Right of Access
- California Privacy Rights
- Links to Other Websites
- How We Keep Your Information Secure
- How Long Do We Retain Your Information?
- Additional Notice to Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Dispute Resolution for United States Residents/Arbitration/Limitation of Liability
- Contact Information
ALM is a business-to-business integrated global digital media company headquartered in the United States. We provide a range of products and services that deliver premium content to professionals in the legal, financial services, benefits, consulting, property and casualty insurance and real estate industries, including publications and resources through ALM’s 30+ brands, intelligence solutions, events, and marketing solutions.
We’re dedicated to providing our customers with market-leading critical news, data, analysis, marketing solutions, and events that empower them to grow, compete, and win. We take well-earned pride in our mission to connect professionals with the information and people they need to solve the business challenges they face every day.
The personal information that we may collect from and about you broadly falls into the following categories.
2.1 Information we collect directly. You may provide personal information to us through the Services – for example, when you sign up for, order, subscribe to, or make use of any of our Services, consult with our customer service team, or communicate with us in any way.
We may also collect personal information, such as your contact and professional details, when you attend our events, take part in surveys, or through other business or marketing interactions we may have with you. You may choose to provide additional information when you communicate with us or otherwise interact with us.
In most cases your provision of personal information to us is entirely voluntary. However, if you fail to provide such information, we may not be able to provide certain Services or information to you.
The personal information you provide may include:
- Contact Information: When setting up an ALM account to access or subscribe to the Services, you will be asked to provide certain information, including contact information (such as name, address, email, or telephone number), and professional information (such as job title, department, or job role).
- Financial Information: If you are paying for any of the Services (for example, through one of our online check-out pages), we may require you to provide credit card or other financial information in order to process a payment from you. You should never provide detailed credit card information directly to ALM via an unsecure form (such as email).
- Transaction Information: We will maintain a record of your purchases, transactional information, your Services history, and usage. We may also retain your communications with us and our responses.
- Partner Products & Services Offered on the Services: Third parties, such as our partners, sponsors, or advertisers whose services are promoted or advertised on the Services, may request that you provide personal information. Please see How We Share Information in Section 4 below for further details.
- Research Surveys: You may elect to provide information in connection with research surveys in which you participate.
- Emails to ALM: If you send us emails, you should be aware that any information provided in an email may not be secure or encrypted and therefore may be available to others. Please exercise caution if you decide to disclose any personal or confidential information to us in any email.
- Job Applicants to ALM: When applying for select job postings at ALM, we will ask you to send us your resume or other relevant information online.
- Lawjobs.com and LegalWeekjobs.com: When using the Lawjobs.com and Legalweekjobs.com Services, you may elect to send us your resume or other relevant information.
2.2 Information we collect automatically. When you use the Services, we (or our third party partners) may collect information about your device and usage of the Services. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
We may use a variety of technologies (collectively, “Tracking Technologies”) to collect some of this information. Our use of Tracking Technologies is discussed in more detail in Tracking Technologies and Advertising and Analytics Services in Section 5 below.
We may use Tracking Technologies to automatically collect the information described below:
- Device Information: We may collect certain information about the device you use to access the Services, including but not limited to IP addresses for your devices, unique device identifiers, browser types, and browser language.
- User History: We may log certain usage information about your use of the Services, which may include a history of the pages you view. If you download and use any ALM software or application on your device, the log files will automatically be collected by the application and sent to our servers when your device syncs up for the latest content available.
- Mobile/Location Information: We may collect additional information from you if you access the Services through a mobile device, for example we may collect your unique device identifier, your device’s operating system, mobile carrier, or your location when you opt in for us to do so. However the degree to which your location can be identified depends on the device you are using (e.g. laptop, smartphone, tablet) and how you are connected to the internet (e.g. via cable broadband connection, Wi-Fi, etc.). If you enable location services for the Services we may collect your regional location data periodically as you use or leave open the Services. We may also collect your location information from your IP address or zip code.
We may also use location data internally or in conjunction with our third party service providers to customize your experience and provide offers that may be relevant to you. Depending on the device you use to access the Services (e.g. Apple™ iOS, Google™ Android, Windows, etc.) you may be able to control whether location data is collected from the settings on your wireless device.
- Third Party Sources: From time to time we may obtain personal information about you from third party sources, such as public databases, social networking services, third party data providers and our joint marketing partners. Examples of the information we may receive from third party sources include job title, company, location, updated contact information, and other demographic and professional information. We use this information, alone or in combination with other information (including personal information we collect), to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products, features, and services.
- Social Networking Accounts: When you choose to log into your ALM account through your LexisNexis account or social networking accounts, link your social networking accounts with the Services, or engage with the Services through the LexisNexis platform or third party social media platforms, you may be allowing us ongoing access to certain information stored on those platforms. In addition, as you interact with the Services, you may also be providing information about your activities to LexisNexis or the third party social networking platforms, as applicable. You should make sure that you are comfortable with the information such services may make available to us by visiting the applicable platforms’ privacy policies and/or modifying your privacy settings directly with those platforms.
We may use the personal information that we collect through the Services to:
- Provide the products and services you request, process transactions, and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts.
- Provide support and improve the Services and to manage system administration and security.
- Respond to your comments, inquiries, and requests and provide customer service.
- Link or combine information that we collect directly with information from third-party sources or multiple devices to help understand your needs, provide you with personalized content, and provide you with better service.
- Personalize and improve your experience and deliver content or features that match your profile and interests, including to show you targeted advertising as described in Tracking Technologies and Advertising and Analytics Services in Section 5 below. Please also review Section 6 below for further information about Your Choices/How to Opt Out.
- Send you marketing and promotional communications (in accordance with your marketing preferences). Please see Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Send you e-mail newsletters and alerts (in accordance with your newsletter and alerts preferences). Please see Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Perform statistical and marketing analyses of user behavior.
- Send you push notifications. Please see Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Conduct surveys.
- Process and deliver sweepstakes and other promotions.
- Comply with or enforce legal requirements, agreements, and policies.
- Evaluate candidate submissions for job postings.
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
- Sharing Information with Marketing Partners: ALM selectively makes its postal mailing address list and email list, for customers in the United States, available to third party partners so that they may provide you with information about product or service offerings, events or promotions, which may be of interest to you. You may opt-out of having such information shared for this purpose. Please see Your Choices/How to Opt-Out in Section 6 below.
- Third Parties Providing Functionality: We also work with third parties to provide certain functionalities on the Services and to improve the effectiveness of the Services and its content. Separate and distinct from information ALM shares with third parties, third party companies may also use Tracking Technologies to independently collect and store information about you and your usage of the Services and may combine this information with information they collect from other sources. Please note, we do not control Tracking Technologies used by third parties, and their use of such Tracking Technologies may be governed by their own privacy policies.
- Third Party Event Sponsors: When you register for an ALM event (including any webinars and recognition dinners), we may share the information you provide, such as your name, company name, postal address and email address, with third parties who are sponsoring the event. You may opt-out of having such information shared for this purpose, as described in greater detail in Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Mobile Carriers: If you access the Services through a device or app, we may share your information with mobile carriers, operating systems, and platforms.
- LawJobs and LegalWeek Jobs: If you upload your resume onto Lawjobs.com or LegalWeekjobs.com, we will share your resume with prospective employers when you apply to a specific job or have given us consent to share your resume via our employer database.
- Service Providers: Sometimes we need to share your information with our third-party service providers, who help us provide and support the Services and other business functions. For example, we use service providers to assist with the following: analyzing data, hosting data, engaging technical support, processing payments, delivering content, mailing statements to subscribers, email distribution, and providing customer service.
- Advertising Partners: We may partner with third party advertising networks and exchanges to display advertising on our websites or to manage and serve our advertising on other sites and may share your personal information with them for this purpose. Please see more information in Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Organizational Changes: Should ALM undergo a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization, or liquidation, ALM’s accumulated customer information will be treated as an asset and, like other business assets, subject to transfer to or acquisition by a third party. We may also disclose information about our users in connection with a commercial transaction where we, or any one of our businesses, is seeking financing, investment, support, or funding.
- With Your Consent or at Your Direction.
- Targeted Advertising: We and our third party partners and vendors may use Tracking Technologies, such as cookies, pixels, and web beacons and collect and store information about you when you use or interact with our Services, marketing communications, advertising content and/or third party websites, in order to provide you with targeted advertising based on your browsing activities and interests. These third parties automatically receive your IP address or mobile device identifier when you access the Services or third party websites. They may also use Tracking Technologies to measure the effectiveness of advertisements, to personalize the advertising content, and to serve you advertisements that are relevant to your regional location. We may also use information collected using third party cookies and beacons on the Services and in our emails to deliver advertising about our Services when you visit third party websites. To find out more about our use of Tracking Technologies as well as how to manage your preferences please see our Tracking Technologies Notice.
- Analytics and Ad Serving: Google, Telium and Site Catalyst are some of the companies that we use to serve advertising and perform analytics on some of the Services. When you access the Services, our third-party vendors, including Google, use third-party cookies (such as the Google DoubleClick cookie) to serve you ads based on your previous visit to our website and other websites. To learn more about your choices and in particular Google’s currently available opt-outs for the Web, please see Your Choices/How to Opt Out in Section 6 below.
- Cross Device Tracking: We (and our third party service providers) also use Tracking Technologies that recognize and collect usage information and information about the devices you use to connect with our Services and third party websites. When these tools are enabled, the data that we and our third-party service providers collect about these devices is used to enable delivery of product recommendations, advertising, or other promotional materials across your devices that are more relevant information to you, or to measure the effectiveness of our Services and advertising. They automatically receive your IP address or mobile device identifier when you connect to the Services or third party websites. This data may be combined with the same information from another browser or device if you use multiple browsers or devices. You may opt-out of this type of tracking/information collection by clicking here. This opt-out applies to the specific device/browser combination on which you are browsing, so you will need to opt-out on each device and browser separately. Please note opting out of targeted advertising does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive untargeted generic ads.
- Opt-out Links: Any recipient of email notices may opt out of receiving them at any time. To opt out of receiving emails, follow the unsubscribe instructions located near the bottom of each service update, newsletter, or promotional email, or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email Newsletters: You can view, change, or update any or all of your email newsletter subscriptions by going to your Newsletters preference center preference center here.
- Alerts: You can view, change, or update any or all of your alerts subscriptions by going to your Alerts preference center here.
- Marketing Emails: You can view, change, or update any or all of your marketing email preferences by going to your Email Marketing preference center here.
- Transactional Emails: If you are a print subscriber and do not wish to receive email bills, renewal notices, and other communications regarding your print subscriptions by email, you can email your request to email@example.com. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving subscriber communications by email, we may continue to send you subscriber communications by direct mail.
- Research Surveys Sent by Email: You may elect not to receive research surveys conducted by ALM’s Intelligence division that are sent by email by using the opt-out link contained in such emails. In addition, you may elect not to receive surveys conducted in conjunction with ALM’s marketing partners by unsubscribing from third party partner emails on your email marketing preference center here.
- Postal Addresses: ALM collects postal mailing address information from you so that ALM may fulfill the subscriptions and orders you submit and to inform you of ALM programs, products, and services in which you may be interested. If you want to opt out of receiving marketing communications via postal mail from ALM in the future, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications by postal mail, we may continue to send you transactional communications about your subscription or orders by postal mail.
- Push Notifications: If you use our mobile apps, we may ask if you want to receive push notifications so that we can send you updates, communications, and other messages about the Services. To opt out of getting these push notifications or other messages, you must turn off the push notification function in your device settings.
- Sharing with Third Party Partners: ALM selectively makes its postal mailing address list and email list of customers available to third parties whose products or service offerings may be of interest to you. If you do not wish for ALM to provide either your postal mailing or email information (or both) to third parties for this purpose, please send us a notice using the contact details provided in Contact Us in Section 16. California Residents please also see Section 8 below. You can also specify that you do not want your email information shared with third party marketing partners by going to your preference center here and updating your third party email marketing preferences.
- Third Party Event Sponsors: If you do not wish for ALM to share the information you supply when you register for an event (including any webinars and recognition dinners), such as your name, company name, postal address, or email address, with the event’s sponsors, please specify this in an email to email@example.com.
- Turning Off Tracking Technologies: You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a persistent or session cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off such cookies through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser’s Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. However, cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies and may not disable HTML5 storage. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies, please click here. To learn more about HTML5 storage, see our Tracking Technologies Notice. It is important to remember that many of ALM’s services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, ALM needs first-party cookies to log you in to the Services that require registration or a subscription. In that case, you may set your browser to block third-party cookies and allow ALM’s first-party cookies only.
- “Do Not Track” Signals: Some third party browsers provide “do not track” machine readable signals for websites which are automatically applied by default and therefore do not necessarily reflect our visitor’s choice as to whether they wish to receive advertisements tailored to their interests. As a result, at this time, ALM does not respond to browser “do not track” signals or other similar mechanisms. Go to http://www.networkadvertising.org or http://www.aboutads.info if you wish to learn more about your options to not accept tracking cookies for the purpose of receiving targeted interest-based advertisements. Please note that the-opt out is cookie-based and will only affect the specific computer and browser on which the opt-out is applied.
- Network Advertising Initiative: Some of our advertising service providers may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies. If you opt-out of receiving targeted ads in this manner, you will continue to receive advertising messages from us, but other members of the Network Advertising Initiative will not be able to target you based on your use of the Services and/or third party websites. If you would like more information about advertisers’ use of tracking technologies and about your option not to accept these cookies, you can go here. If you would like to learn more about how interest-based information is collected and to know your choices about not having your information used in this manner, you can go here.
You may access, correct, or update the information you have provided to us. ALM takes reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and up to date. You can update your account information by logging into your online account and updating your contact and profile information. You can view, change or update your editorial newsletter preferences, email marketing preferences and alert preferences by logging into your online account and going to your preference center here. You may also contact us at any time by using the contact details provided in Contact Us in Section 16 below.
Your Californian Privacy Rights: A Notice to California Users (California Civil Code Section 1798.83). Under the California “Shine The Light” law, California residents may opt-out of ALM’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Any California resident may choose to opt-out of the sharing of such personal information with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by directing such request to ALMLegal@alm.com.
To help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of information, we have put in place appropriate technical, organizational, physical, electronic, and managerial procedures designed to protect the information we collect. Specific measures we use include installing anti-intrusion hardware and firewalls, conducting penetration testing and virus scans, monitoring Operating System and software logs and applying software patches. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your personally identifiable information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any social media or other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
To help protect the privacy of your own information, including maintaining the confidentiality of any account information or access credentials, we recommend you take precautions to protect the security of any personal information that you transmit over any public or untrusted network by using encryption and other techniques to prevent unauthorized persons from intercepting or receiving any of your personally identifiable information. You are responsible for the security of your information when using unencrypted, open access, public or otherwise unsecured networks.
Our Services are directed at a general audience and not directed to those under the age of 18. ALM asks that minors not submit any personal information. ALM does not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 18 years of age and if we obtain actual knowledge that a user is under 18 years of age, we will take steps to remove that individual’s personal information from our systems.
- You may request access to or ask us to correct, update, or delete your personal information. You can update account information by logging into your online account and updating your contact and profile information. You also can view, change, or update your editorial newsletter preferences, email marketing preferences, and alert preferences by logging into your online account and going to your preference center here. However, if you don’t have an account with us or want to contact us directly about accessing, correcting, updating, or deleting your personal information or changing your marketing preferences, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided in Contact Us in Section 16. We will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided in Contact Us in Section 16.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority (contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA, are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request.
- However, we will normally collect personal information from you where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Typically, our legitimate interests include: improving, maintaining, providing, and enhancing our technology, products, content, and services; ensuring the security of the Services; and conducting marketing activities.
- If you have signed up for the Services on your own behalf, we may need your personal information to perform a contract with you. In some limited cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you.
- Where required by law, we will collect your personal information only where we have your consent to do so.
- If you have any questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided in Contact Us in Section 16.
- The Services are operated in the United States. If you are located anywhere outside of the United States (including in the EEA), please be aware that information we collect, including personal information, will be transferred to, processed and stored in the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may differ from those of the country in which you are located, and your personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States according to the laws of the United States.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us using the details below:
For United States and other Non-EEA residents:
ALM Media, LLC
Attn: Customer Service
120 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10271
For EEA residents:
For the purposes of EU data protection legislation, American Lawyer Media Limited is the controller of your personal information.
ALM Media, LLC
Attn: Customer Service
120 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10271