ALM Intelligence has just released the 2020 Law Department Compensation Benchmarking Survey. The 2020 edition of the survey shows how America’s top corporations compensate their in-house legal staff by giving insights into compensation packages—including salary, bonus, and total cash and stock options—across nine positions and numerous regions, department sizes, and industries.
This year’s survey was conducted from March to September 2020 and included data from over 1,900 US lawyers.
Highlights from the report include:
- Like 2019 results, individual merit and company performance stand out as the main factors used in the annual formal performance evaluation process to determine lawyers’ salary/bonus compensation components
- At $385K, the national average salary among chiefs is on par with 2019 findings
- Total compensation for division counsel is highest in law departments with over 50 lawyers
- The number of years in the position has little impact on the average salary for non-management attorneys
- Total compensation for recent graduates increased vs. last year